Thursday, December 18, 2014

Why You Don't Have to Hold It Together During the Holidays

One week until Christmas! It brings different emotions for me depending on the hour of the day. At times I'm overjoyed like a child waiting for the Big Day and other times I'm overwhelmed with responsibilities and sadness. If you fall anywhere in that mix, you may enjoy this blog post I found that brought encouragement and relief during this busy season while reminding me of the true celebration this month and the One who allows me to be broken and holds everything together for me so that I may breathe and enjoy the many blessings He's provided beyond measure.

Merry Christmas friends!

From the blog (in)courage -- Written by Holley Gerth
here's a direct link http://www.incourage.me/2014/12/holidays.html

Okay to Be Broken by HolleyGerth.com


I sit in the soft silence of a church service and draw a deep breath. “Get it together,” I tell myself, “It’s the holidays and you’re supposed to be happy.”

But the reality is . . . I’m hurting. I miss my grandpa who slipped home to Jesus last summer. Other holiday seasons have held similar struggles. I remember fighting back tears during our journey through infertility.

I’ve sighed from exhaustion after pushing through end-of-year projects. I’ve battled seasonal depression.

Rather than being a comfort, all of this makes me even more certain that this is the year I must.be.okay.

But in the quiet dark it seems I hear a whisper deep within my heart, “Go ahead and be broken . . . I’ll hold you together.”

It turns out holding it together isn’t in my job description: “God holds all things together” {Colossians 1:17}.

We serve a Savior who knows Christmas is not just about rejoicingit’s also about the cross. He understands what it is to be human, to have tears slip down our cheeks and hope seep out our souls. He grasps what it’s like to be frustrated with the injustices and troubles of this world. He knows. 

It’s okay to have a hard day during the holidays.

It’s okay to cry . . . and laugh too.

It’s okay to be concerned about what the new year holds.

None of that is too big for God to wrap His arms around. He’s got you. He loves you. He is not telling you to “get over it.” Instead He is forever saying:
Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest. {Matthew 11:28}
Trying to be perfect is exhausting.

Ignoring our hurt only drives it deeper.

Pretending our pain isn’t real only makes it yell louder to get our attention.

Rest, friend, rest . . .

Because you are loved.

Because you are safe.

Because you are cherished beyond all you can imagine.

Yes, go ahead and be broken . . . God really will hold you together. 

XOXO
Holley Gerth


No comments:

Post a Comment